It was built in 1634 as the burial place for the Lovat Frasers on the end of the original parish church. The roof of the mausoleum was raised and a tower added in 1722 by the then Lord Lovat, the ‘Old Fox’ of the Jacobite Rebellion who was later buried in the crypt. It was used by the Lovats until the early 19th century. The building then fell into disrepair until the 1990’s when the Wardlaw Mausoleum Trust was formed to rescue it. This led to a restoration project with Historic Scotland and Lottery funding. The mausoleum is listed as Grade ‘A’ by Historic Scotland, the highest level of importance.
Recently interest has grown in this wonderful old building as it has links with the Outlander books and TV series, being the last resting place of ‘The Old Fox’, the main characters Grandfather.
The Wardlaw Mausoleum is open 10.00-4.00 on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th September as part of the annual Doors Open Day scheme, with a special play at 3.00 on Saturday! Entrance Free.